Skip to Main Content

The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.


Project-Based Section 8 Assistance


CHFA has been designated as a Contract Administrator for Project-Based Section 8 developments in Connecticut by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The Project-Based Section 8 program subsidizes units in a building, rather than its occupants, for the duration of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract between HUD and the development’s owner. HAP payments represent the difference between the HUD-approved rent for all eligible units and the eligible tenants’ rent contributions, generally 30% of a family’s adjusted income.

As Contract Administrator, CHFA monitors the compliance of Project-Based Section 8 developments. CHFA is responsible for conducting annual Management and Occupancy Reviews, adjusting rent and utility allowances, paying monthly housing assistance subsidies directly to owners, renewing HAP Contracts and responding to health and safety issues as required by HUD.

Monthly Tenant and Voucher Reporting Requirements

Owners of Project-Based Section 8 developments must submit monthly tenant and voucher data electronically to CHFA, via the iMAX system, no later than the 10th of the month preceding the month for which payment is requested.

Tenant Certification  

Owners and management agents are required to certify residents at least annually and to verify their income through the Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) system. Please note that access to this system is provided by HUD and requires a secured password. Consult HUD’s Online Secure Systems to obtain authorization to use the EIV system.

TRACS - Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System

TRACS is a HUD computer system developed to help improve financial controls over assisted housing programs by automating manual procedures and incorporating automated controls.

Rent Increase Request Requirements

At least 60 days prior to the anniversary of their HAP contracts, Project-Based Section 8 housing development owners and/or management agents must submit a written request to CHFA to obtain an annual increase of their pre-renewal rent. The submission requirements depend on how a development’s gross rents (including utilities) compare to the HUD-published Fair Market Rents (FMR) that are applicable to the area where the development is located.  

Please note: Developments under contract renewal should consult the HUD Section 8 Renewal Guide. The request for an annual rent increase must be submitted via email to Rhonda Caldwell:

What should be included in a rent increase request?  

If a development’s gross rent is above the FMR, the owner and/or management agent must submit a Rent Comparability Study (RCS) to support the request. (Please see Chapter 9, Section 8 Renewal Guide.) The RCS must be prepared and signed by a Connecticut licensed and certified General Appraiser.

In addition, developments with utility allowances must follow the requirements of HUD Notice H-2015-04.

Please note: More details (and forms) related to pre-renewal increases of the contract rent can be found in the HUD Notice 2002-10.

Special Claims

Owners and management agents of Project-Based Section 8 developments may submit special claims for vacancies, tenant damages and unpaid rent. Specific submission requirements can be found in the HUD Special Claims Processing Guide.

HAP Contract Renewals

Information regarding contract renewals can be found in the HUD Section 8 Renewal Guide. All renewal requests must be submitted via email to

Questions? Contact Rhonda Caldwell, (860) 571-4249 or

© 2023 Connecticut Housing Finance Authority. All Rights Reserved