Site Map | Contact Us  |  Search:  

Email Print Font - Font +

Compliance Reporting Requirements

Project-Based Section 8 Subsidies 


The Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) has been designated by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as a Contract Administrator for project-based Section 8 developments in Connecticut.  The project-based Section 8 program subsidizes units in a building, rather than their occupants, for the duration of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract between HUD and the development’s owner.  HAP payments represent the difference between the HUD-approved rent for all eligible units and the eligible tenants’ rent contributions, generally 30% of a family’s/elderly adjusted income.

As Contract Administrator, CHFA monitors the compliance of project-based Section 8 developments.  CHFA is responsible for conducting Management and Occupancy Reviews on an annual basis, adjusting rent and utility allowances, paying monthly housing assistance subsidies directly to owners, and responding to health and safety issues as required by HUD.

Follow the links below to learn more about the operational and reporting requirements of owners of project-based Section 8 developments:



General HUD Compliance Requirements


All project-based Section 8 developments are required to comply with the terms of their Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts, and Loan Documents.  Eligible developments must also conform to HUD Housing Quality Standards as well as all relevant federal and state fair housing statutes and regulations.  

For additional information on general HUD requirements, owners are encouraged to consult with the HUD Housing Handbooks or contact the Operations (Section 8) Department of CHFA.


Monthly Tenant and Voucher Reporting Requirements

Owners of project-based section 8 developments are required to submit monthly tenant and voucher data electronically to CHFA.  Tenant data includes the current certification of the residents of the subsidized units and tracks any changes, transfers, and moves within that population.  

  • Tenant Certification  
  • Owners and Management Agents are required to certify residents at least annually and to verify their income through the Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) system.  Please note that access to this system is provided by HUD and requires a secured password. Consult HUD’s Online Secure System to obtain authorization to use the EIV system. 


  • TRACS - Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System

    The Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS) is a computer system created by HUD that enables owners to electronically submit their monthly tenant certifications and voucher information to CHFA.  Owners are required to use software that interfaces with TRACS for these submissions in order to ensure that all tenant and contract data is accurate and current.  Based on the TRACS submissions, HUD calculates a development’s monthly rental subsidy and wires the payments to CHFA, for the benefit of the property.


  •  When are tenant and voucher reports due?

    The electronic voucher and tenant certification submissions are due to CHFA no later than the 10th of the month preceding the month for which payment is requested.   


  • In what format are tenant and voucher reports submitted?

    Electronic tenant and voucher submissions must be transmitted to CHFA via iMAX.  


Rent Increase Request Requirements


At the anniversary of their Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts, project-based Section 8 housing development Owners and/or Management Agents must submit a written request to CHFA to obtain an annual increase of their pre-renewal gross rent.  The submission requirements depend on how a development’s gross rents (including utilities) compare to the HUD-published Fair Market Rents (FMR) that are applicable to the area where the development is located.  

Please note:  Developments under contract renewal should consult the HUD Section 8 Renewal Guide.   

  • What should be included in a rent increase request?  
  • If a development’s gross rent is above the FMR, the Owner and/or Management Agent must submit a Rent Comparability Study (RCS) to support the request.  (Please see, Chapter 9, Section 8 Renewal Guide.)  The RCS must include a comparability analysis for all unit sizes assisted under the HAP contract.  The RCS must be prepared and signed by a Connecticut licensed and certified General Appraiser.  

    In addition, developments with utility allowances must follow the requirements of HUD Notice H-2015-04.

    Please note:  More details (and forms) related to pre-renewal increases of the contract rent and utility allowance can be found in the HUD Notice 2002-10.   


  • When is a request for a rent increase due? 
  • A request for an annual rent increase should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the HAP contract anniversary date in order to be effective on the anniversary date.  


  • In what format should a request for a rent increase be sent?  
  • A request for an annual rent increase must be submitted via email to



Special Claims


Owners and Management Agents of project-based Section 8 developments may submit special claims for vacancies, tenant damages and unpaid rent.  Specific submission requirements can be found in the HUD Special Claims Processing Guide.


Questions? Contact CHFA.


For additional assistance, project-based Section 8 developments should contact:    

Name:     Geralyn A. Prescott
Phone:     860 571-4220

Mailing Address:
Connecticut Housing Finance Authority
Attn: Geralyn A. Prescott
999 West Street
Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067